Thursday, January 15, 2009

So a bishonen, a futanari, and a catgirl walk into a bar...

In addition to the live action domestic TV we watch, my wife and I watch a lot of anime too.

Before we got involved, it was a passing interest of mine. I didn't go out of my way to see new things, and was pretty much limited to Escaflowne and Dragon Ball Z. Then, I did a five year stint as a movie store employee (three years at Blockbuster as a clerk, two at Hollywood Video as a manager), and I saw more anime than I can recall. Ninja Scroll, Akira, Ghost in a Shell, Metropolis, Trigun, Princess Monoke, Spirited Away, Howle's Moving Castle, Record of the Loddoss War, Vampire Princess Miyu, Dark Stalker, Spriggan, Now and Then-Here and There, Voices of a Distant Star, Millenium Actress, Beserker, Tokyo Babylon, anything that I could get my hands on, I checked it out at least once.

From there, I progressed to japanese live action films, like Ichi the Killer, Full-Time Killers, Deadly Outlaw Rekka, The Returner, Princess Blade, Audition (best horror film ever). Leyna never shared my entusiasm for japanese film, prefering to stay with anime herself. Once we moved in together, I ended up being exposed to a slew of anime I had either never heard of, or never been interested in, like Last Exile, X, Gravitation, Peacemaker, Tsubasa Chronicles, Full Metal Panic, Tide Line Blue, Orphan, Gance, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Vandread, Saiyuki, Shinesman, plus many others that I've forgotten.

Obviously, I've been exposed to a fairly decent cross section of anime.

Of course, there are still, literally, hundreds of other OVAs, movies, and series I haven't seen, much of which I'm looking forward to seeing. I'm open to suggestions, fyi.

No comments: