Monday, November 3, 2008

I swear I don't watch Naruto!

Once in a while, I hear someone say to me, via whisper or local chat:

"Lol, narutard"

Firstly, I love that term. My wife (who at the time was my girlfriend) was the first person I ever heard use that word, years ago. I think is accurately describes the type of person who normally enjoys Naruto, and rolls up an assassin named "xX Naruto Xx". Secondly, I don't like Naruto, I haven't even seen a full episode.

Keeping that in mind, why would someone say "lol narutard" to me? Well, my main in Guild Wars is named (wait for it):

Sarutobi Sasuke

Yes, my level 20 Warrior is named Sarutobi Sasuke. I created her at launch, and I've had her since day one of Guild Wars (all you Narutards who wondered who got the name before you, suck it). Sarutobi is a female warrior, mind you, and when I named her, it was in no way a reference to anything Naruto, or anything from Shonen Jump, for that matter. Of course, this doesn't stop people from insisting that since I named my warrior Sarutobi Sasuke, I must read or watch Naruto (as one perceptive player pointed out, "OMFG, SASUKE IS A JAPANESE NAME!1!"). To be honest, I simply couldn't think of a name, and this was the first thing to come to mind. I always envisioned my warrior as being akin to a Valkryie, so often I wish I had picked a different name, and I find myself wanting to delete and remake her from time to time.

But, I'd lose all her gear then. Her sexy, sexy gear. Not that equipment plays as big a role in Guild Wars as it does in Diablo 2 and WoW, but it certainly helps flesh out a character. And with the amount of money and time invested in her, it would be an epic waste to delete her.

Now, having all the campaigns that A-Net has released, along with it's expansion, Eye of the North, I have the luxury of having character names reserved for me, once Guild Wars 2 comes out (all you Narutards who hoped that this name would be available in GW2, suck it again).

Of course, when I politely inform people that Saru (as I am called by guild and allaince members) isn't a homage to Naruto, the next question is, what is it a reference too? I've kept that one a secret so far, but if someone guesses it, I'll probably give them a prize.

No comments: